The gun emplacements and tunnels you now see at John F. Kennedy Memorial Park are the remnants of a 6-inch” gun battery constructed during 1941 and 1942 as part of Auckland’s World War II defences. Castor Bay was one of three gun batteries whose purpose was to defend the northern approaches to the Rangitoto Channel; the others were at Whangaparaoa and Motutapu. The eastern approaches were covered by batteries located at Motuihe and Rangitoto and from 1945 Stony Batter. The batteries at North Head, Fort Takapuna and Bastion Point were the last line of defence. Read more >>
Petition (CLOSED) but successful.
The Kennedy Park WWII Trust thanks Auckland Council for purchasing 139 Beach Road, Castor Bay. 139 is the last WWII dormitory at Kennedy Park to be purchased. The WWII Trust, in collaboration with UNITEC (Auckland) can now work with the council to restore the building.
Entrance to the tunnels (including tours), is by optional gold coin donation. Read more >>
$10 per annum. Read more >>
Bookings Battery Observation Post
For Bookings of the Battery Observation Post please contact Sunnynook Community Centre ph 410 4902 (office Hours 9-00 am to 2-30 pm) or email email@example.com
How to find Kennedy Park